Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hey Sayra. Nice work. I agree, we need to get on with it.

Just some quick notes:

When we present we don't need to go through each lesson. We just need to give them information about what we are going to do. Are we going with my proposed format?
1. Introduce the unit, reasons for choosing it (here we can discuss info from Understandings and Key concepts)
2. What aspects of VELS (progression points, Domains etc.) are covered.
3. Discuss our Maths focus lessons/activities and their integrated links
4. Discuss out Lit focus lessons/activities and their integrated links
5. Discuss some of the other Integrated activities

If so, I would like to do the VELS section. Focus on level 4.

Re more maths: I agree. The story of a river could have a maths element - looking at fractions. eg. I have 1 cup of water and then I add 1/4 of a cup of vinegar. A new powerplant is built so I need to add another 1/4 of a cup etc.

When comparing pages in Uno's garden students can be asked to look for the algorithm that exists in the book. They can be asked to find if a similar algorithim exists in Jeanie Baker's books.

For the final activity, they can have an algorithim in mind when they create their environments. Eg for every 3 buildings we have 1 tree etc.

I know we need 10 lessons and it's easy to split it into 2 lessons in each:
Tuning In
Finding Out
Sorting Out
Making Conclusions
Going Further

Remeber that Making Conclusions and Going Further only need to be one activity. The excess can be spread across the rest. Also, we need to make sure that Finding out and Sorting out are interconnected.

I think I've now got to work on other stuff, I'll check in from time to time and see how this is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment