Monday, April 5, 2010

hiya guys,

trying again.. this thing has had me in tears! did all this posting and some labeling thing was created which stuffed all I had done. Ahhh!!! breath Robyn.

ok and again...

Whilst I was away I proceeded to research some ideas from the info/work you had done. Unfortunately I had left in a hurry and had forgotten my newly created password I had written down (man... I was only one letter out!)
Anyway I've put together some ideas using the Murdoch & Hornsby integrated planner (as Sam suggests). I'm just not sure if it's all gonna mesh, so some feedback will be great.

Resources:
rethink site - excursion to educational program
recycle zone site - interactive waste management
recycle now schools site - assembly presentation/song presentation & lyrics
create a graph site - Maths link graphs, monitoring recycling waste


Tuning In 1:
Uno's Garden/Jean Baker book - whichever is more suitable.
Sam's suggestion of Kath Murdoch's placemats - I've found some images and am happy to create A3 page placemats for student resources.

List of questions (Assessing student prior knowledge)
Initial questions/class discussion -
What is an environment?
How can we care for our environment?
What and who impacts/changes our environment?
Why do we need to look after our environment?
Then progress to placemats, asking questions suggested by Sam - Split the page into quadrants with questions in each quadrant - What do you see in this picture? How did it get this way? Where in the world was this photo taken? What lives here?
Whole class discussion - What differences are there from the
picturesque image compared to the latter? Write these down on whiteboard.





Searching through the sites you guys have provided I found a really cool presentation aimed at kids from the recycle now schools site which has some puppet characters talking about landfill waste and the 3 R's - reduce/reuse/recycle.
It's within the interactive assembly video - which I thought could be used within the 'Going further' stage where students could educate other yr levels (about the 3 R's) within the school.

I was able to download it which took over 40mins (as it runs for 20 mins), but the visual won't show up on my computer - audio only (my tech friend says this is because my computer is too advanced - so I'm wondering if anyone else is able to access???)
It sounds informative - I've searched within the site and the characters/video would be a great engagement tool.

So this would lead into...


Tuning In 2:
One of the ways we can improve the environment is to...
Watching of video - education about the 3 R's.
Teacher creates 3 butchers paper pages and scribes class discussion - What things can be put into these 3 categories? (Assessing student prior knowledge)
reduce
reuse
recycle



Finding Out 1:
Initially if students were to look at what can be done at home/around the school to make their environment more eco-friendly - using the recycle zone site - which informs them about waste, the 3 R's, incineration (effects of), fighting waste at school, virtual school questions/suggestions - students could start thinking about an Action plan.
this could be in preparation for...


Finding Out 2:
A yr level excursion to the educational program rethink site.
I recalled this educational program from 1st semesters Humanities expo group task.

I'm just going to save this... and post again the rest of my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment